Monday, August 23, 2010

Where the hell have I been?

Yeah, I've been gone a while.  I have a good reason for that.  For some reason, my internet has been a huge pile of crap.  The past two weeks have been giving me off and on internet access - mostly off.  It seems to be working now, for the most part.  Then again, this computer sucks and my internet provider is a load of shite, so who knows how long this will last?

Anywho, just to get things up to speed, though not much really happened, I found myself meandering at a Toys 'R' Us (as I mindlessly wander around, wielding sharp, two-handed "objects," if I don't take my "happy pills," usually without recalling the carnage I cause in the process) and found a 11" Godzilla figure from Final Wars.  Since I got $22 from being called for jury duty (oh yeah, there was jury duty, but the trial was canceled, so I got paid for practically nothing), I figured I'd get it.  I don't get the opportunity to buy anything for myself anymore, so why not?  The 11" Ultraman Mebius I picked up at Anime Iowa 2009 didn't have anyone to fight, since my other kaiju and giant robot figures are way too small.  Now, he's not so lonely.

The other thing was that Rush came through St. Louis last night and just randomly decided to play a concert to thousands of people.  Of course, I was there.  I always enjoy a Rush concert and this was no exception.  The reason for the tour was the 30th anniversary of Moving Pictures and the release of two new singles on their forthcoming album.  So they played Moving Pictures in its entirety and the two singles in the setlist.  As far as their 1980 album is concerned, they've actually played most of thosee songs in the recent past with the exception of "The Camera Eye," which sounded great last night.

I find myself in rare form when I see them in concert.  I forget about the cantankerous, bitter man I've become and remember the passionate young college kid from 10 years ago.  It's a great feeling - one I don't experience very often anymore.  Is that pathetic?  Hell yeah, it is.

The stage design for the show was fucking awesome.  In previous tours, the band had random appliances, like dryers or rotisserie ovens, behind them.  This time, they went for a Victorian sci-fi theme, with plenty of switches, gauges, steam pressure releases, and those plasma arc bulbs with the cool lightning tendrils.  Even the big screen on stage had videos that framed the action so that it looked like a huge cathode ray monitor.  If you want a taste of how cool it looked, check out this link, which showcases Alex's awesome amps.

 Of course, what Rush concert is complete without a trip to the merch booth?  I picked up a cool new shirt and a CD copy of their new singles, which I've been listening to, on loop, while writing this.  I haven't really had a chance to listen to the two songs that much before the concert, but I like them, especially "Caravan."

Oh, I can't forget the ridiculous videos they played at the beginning and end of the show.  The videos at the opening and after the intermission were the same oddball stuff that the band does, which involved a polka version of the group, a music altering time machine, and Alex in a fat suit.  That's all I'll say about that.  The only thing I'll say about the closing video of the concert is that you need to make sure you see the movie I Love You, Man before the concert.  The jokes will be much funnier that way.

Okay, this sinus headache is sapping the smarts out of my brains.  That's all I got for now.  Hopefully, if this stupid computer allows me to, I'll be back in a timely fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment