Wednesday, January 27, 2010



Let's get one thing established before we continue.   If someone, anyone, were to come up and ask you, "What is the greatest band in all of creation?"  The answer is always Rush.  If they tell you you're wrong, they're lying.

If you want something inspiring, listen to Rush.  If you want great musicianship, listen to Rush.  If you want to listen to one of the most influential bands for today's musicians (besides the Beatles), listen to Rush.  A way out of depression?  Listen to Rush.  World Peace?  Listen to Rush.  A cure for cancer?  Listen to Rush.

Am I exaggerating a bit?  Maybe, maybe not.

Regardless, Rush is my all time favorite band.  I've been listening to them for over two of the three decades I've been alive.  I was introduced to them the same way with a lot of bands that were prevalent in the 70s and 80s: by my elder siblings.  My sister introduced me to bands like The Moody Blues and Electric Light Orchestra ("Don't Bring Me Down" was my first favorite song).  My older brother had me listening to progressive rock groups like Asia, Yes, and, of course, Rush.  I didn't really fully develop an interest in the band until I was about 9 or 10.  The first cassette tape I bought was a Rush album.  One of the first CDs I bought was Rush: Chronicles.  I live and breathe by their music.  It's been the soundtrack of my life for a long time.

Now, being a Rush fan, I've heard the complaints.  Some people prefer one era of the band over another.  A lot of people thought the mid-to-late 80s was not a good era for the band.  Personally, I think that's crap.  They made great songs throughout their entire career.  The 80s actually had some of their more thought provoking songs during that time and were just as much inspired by science fiction as they were when they wrote "2112."

Then there are those people who, I guess, are too musically inept to listen to Rush.  A lot of them say that they don't like Geddy Lee's voice; it's "too high pitched and he sounds like an elf."  Of course, when someone says that, I ask them if they like Led Zeppelin.  When some of those people say yes, I ask them why they like Robert Plant's voice so much when it's very similar to Geddy's.  The same complaints about Geddy's singing could also be said for Plant's.  Hell, Plant did more screeching and wailing than Geddy ever did.

"But Jon," you may say, "Robert Plant had a soulful voice."  Yes, I would agree with that.  I'm not here to downplay Plant's signing.  But, in my opinion, pound for pound, Geddy has a better vocal quality.  He also happens to be one of the best damn bass players, ever.  Top it off with some solid keyboard and synthesizer skills and you have a very versatile and talented musician.

Alex Lifeson is right up there with Eric Johnson as one of my favorite guitarists.  He has his own signature sound, one which gives me chills when I hear certain songs.  Geddy and Alex have a great rapport with each other onstage.  It's like watching Moe and Curly from The Three Stooges at their best.  They both complement each other.

Then there's Neil Peart: drummer, songwriter, candidate for deification.  I think this video says more than I ever could.


The best thing about Rush is that they are a group of musicians' musicians.  Lot's of bands pay respect to their craftsmanship and it's a testament that they are more than just another band, despite not constantly being on the Billboard charts.  To be honest, that's how it should be.  They're not focused on popularity or being in the spotlight, which is good.  Someone who gets to used to being popular will do anything to stay on top.  Eventually, they just make shitty songs.  Rush has been going on for over 30 years and have remained as influential as ever.

When I get a Grooveshark player set up on this blog, I'm cramming it full of Rush songs (along with other bands, but, definitely, lots of Rush).

No comments:

Post a Comment