So, I finally got it this morning. Went up to the local GameStop, which is two blocks away, and picked it up right when they opened. I spent a little time playing it (I'm actually in the process of moving, so I only got two hours worth of playing). So far, so good, though.
I will say this much, don't expect to be doing what you were able to do in the demo right off the bat. You don't start with awesome armor (though I don't think the demo really used any of the armor's real defensive capabilities, it just tried to give gamers a sampling of the aesthetics of armor) and you start with a basic sword and shield and great sword. The first "mission" you do doesn't really involve much of hunting monsters. You hunt one herbivore for its meat (you can kill more, if you want), but I spent most of it foraging.
Before you get disappointed in that, know that this slow progression is necessary for those who never played a Monster Hunter game before. By the time you get to where you are fighting giant monsters, you better damn well know all those simple skills, or you're going nowhere. I did get to fight some of the Jaggi, which are these Raptor-like dinosaurs with large neck frills (remember those dinosaurs in Jurassic Park that spit that poison? Yeah, they look a bit like those, but they can't spit poison, that's another beast). So far, it's pretty easy and I have the demo to thank for that. I think that what I've learned in the demo will carry me up until I beat the Qurupeco. After that, I'm on my own.
Thankfully, there seems to be a beautifully robust online element to the game, full of MH veterans who are happy to help those who are dedicated enough to learn the game. I didn't get to play around too much, but I did get to mill about and see some of the sights. Unlike the single player mode, which takes place on an island, the multiplayer mode has you in a desert city, full of life and, of course, fellow hunters. People can form up groups and head out for some hunting action, or they can chill out at a bar, have a few drinks, and even arm wrestle, making for some good social time. I would have to say that getting the WiiSpeak accessory will be a necessity in online gameplay. I'm hoping to get some of my friends, some of which read this blog (hint, hint), to join me.
Anyway, the game looks great, it plays great. This should be one of the biggest releases this year for the Wii and, hopefully, will finally give the franchise a foothold in the west, where it only had a cult following before. Do yourself a favor and get to know the phenomenon that Japanese gamers have known for years.
Oh, if you can spare another $10, definitely get the Monster Hunter Tri Premium Pack. Those ten extra bucks net you the sleek, new Classic Controller Pro (in black, no less), which would normally cost you $20 alone. It's well worth it.
By the way, if you haven't already (though I'm sure you have), check out The Ablogcalypse, where Kaiser is chronicling his adventures hunting these monsters (based on my own experience with the game). But he's not hunting them as Kaiser, with his inhuman powers (that would be too easy for him), but as his newfound alter ego: Pantera. Kaiser... sorry, Pantera is "roughing it" as he uses only his wits, his strength, and his sword to tackle savage beasts. I hope you guys enjoy the Kaiser's new series, Through The Panther's Eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment